1. Who We are
We are TOLFA.
We are here thanks to you!
We respect your privacy and are committed to keeping your information secure.
This is our Privacy Promise where we explain details of what we do and don’t do with your personal details you have trusted us with.
For the purpose of this ‘Privacy Notice’ or ‘Notice’, ‘TOLFA’ and ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ means Tree Of Life For Animals registered charity number 1120789, 95 Bath Road, Stroud, GL5 3LA.
As a Non-Profit organisation we are under no requirement to register with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO), this however does not change our obligation to treat the information you provided to us with the utmost consideration. We are committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the security of any personal information received from you. We strictly adhere to the requirements of the data protection legislation in the UK.
Our designated Data Protection Officer is Mrs Clara Nowak, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Information that we collect
We process personal information to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations to provide our donors, supporters and volunteers with ways and opportunities to help our beneficiaries.
- Where appropriate, we may collect basic contact information (name, postal address, email address, telephone numbers);
- Where appropriate, we may collect your bank account details and Gift Aid status;
- Where appropriate, we may collect your pet details such as name, species, and age;
- Where appropriate, we may record your relationship status with other supporters, donors or volunteers (e.g. If you have given us your details and informed us that you are a client of a Veterinary Surgery who is also our supporter we will record yours and their relationship as such);
- Where appropriate, we may also collect your motivation or personal experience for supporting us.
We may collect personal information about you:
- Directly, when you
- ask about our activities or request specific information
- register with us for information
- sign up for our newsletters
- volunteer or fundraise for us
- pledge or make a donation, or sign up for an event
- become involved in one of our campaigns
- purchase an item from the online shop
- Using social media – depending on your privacy settings in such services
- Using our website – when you visit our website, information about your visit is collected, please see our cookies policy below
3. How we use your personal data
Personal data you provide to us stays with us. We do not sell, trade, disclose or share your data with any organisation for any purpose other than specified in this notice, unless required to do so by law. We may use third-party services like Mailchimp to perform certain functions for us, but rest assured that your privacy and rights stay unaffected. We only keep your data for as long as is necessary and for the purposes specified below.
The legal basis according to which we use your data depends on the relationship between you and us at the time of processing, and the purpose of such processing, and if it falls into one of the categories below:
- Processing relies on your explicit consent
- Processing is necessary for the performance of the employment contract
- Processing is necessary for us to comply with legal obligation
- Processing is necessary for our legitimate interest
We will use all the information collected to provide you with the services, products or information you asked for. We may manually combine your personal information from various sources listed in this privacy notice to create a profile about you, to tailor communications to you, to administer your donation, process Gift Aid, to send you a thank you letter, or to support your fundraising.
We respect your privacy and are extremely thankful for what you enable us to do. We will not contact you unnecessarily nor will we spam you with unrelated third-party advertising material.
- Where you have given your consent, we will send you a newsletter up to 6 times a year using the email you have provided us with;
- From time to time we run appeals that help us tackle urgent matters or needs, these will be shared on social media and we may email you, if you have given us your consent;
- If you donate either regularly or as a one-off, you will receive from us or one of our payment/fundraising services (such as Virgin Money Giving, Just Giving, Blackbaud, Global Giving or PayPal) the transaction confirmation. We may also send you a thank you letter by the method you have consented to;
- If you are member of any of our programs, are sponsoring an animal, member of staff or a project, we will send you updates with the frequency defined upfront at the time of your payment/donation to us in line with performance of the contract legal basis;
- If you declared you eligibility for Gift Aid we will process your basic contact details to comply with HMRC requirements;
- During events we attend you may sign up for our newsletter using either electronic or paper form. In any case this Privacy Notice will be clearly referenced/presented;
- We engage with you on social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn etc adhering to their terms of service and privacy settings you control, if you are following us on those platforms.
We occasionally process your personal information under the legitimate interests’ legal basis. Where this is the case, we have carried out a thorough Legitimate Interests’ Assessment (LIA) to ensure that we have weighed your interests and any risk posed to you against our own interests; ensuring that they are proportionate and appropriate.
We use legitimate interest legal basis for:
- When you purchase from our eBay store, donate through a fundraising platform or payment gateway and do not explicitly opt-out from contact, we may email you to request your consent to further communications such as our newsletter etc. We have identified that our interest is to grow our supporter base;
- We may process your data for performance and quality purposes and we have identified that our interest is to improve processes and quality of service.
4. How long we keep your data
We will retain your personal information for the minimum period necessary to fulfil the purposes in this Notice and to comply with the relevant law. For example under UK tax law we are required to keep records of your donations and financial transactions for at least 6 years. You can always contact us and request to remove all your information or part of it, or ask to restrict the way how we use it; we will comply with your request within a reasonable period providing there is no overriding law preventing us to do so.
5. Sharing and disclosing your personal data
We use third-party suppliers that help us in performing our statutory role and to provide you with our services. Your personal details existing within such systems are only for our use and cannot be used by other parties:
We use third-party suppliers for the following services:
- Fundraising agencies (such as Virgin Money Giving) that we use in order to provide us and you with a platform to efficiently run our or your campaigns;
- Marketing automation platforms (such as Mailchimp) that we use to handle our email communication with you such as our newsletter and occasional appeals;
- Various software platforms that we use to run our email, donor management system, payment gateways, website, e-commerce etc.
6. Transfers outside of EU
Because we work and fundrise globally the data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice. In particular we use third-parties residing outside of EEA for processing of your data such as Mailchimp, Blackbaud, Google Analytics.
7. Your rights
You have the right to access any personal information that TOLFA processes about you and to request information about:
- What personal data we hold about you;
- The purposes of the processing;
- The categories of personal data concerned;
- The recipients to whom the personal data has/will be disclosed;
- How long we intend to store your personal data for;
- If we did not collect the data directly from you, information about the source.
If you believe that we hold any incomplete or inaccurate data about you, you have the right to ask us to correct and/or complete the information and we will strive to do so as quickly as possible; unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, at which point you will be notified.
You also have the right to request erasure of your personal data or to restrict processing (where applicable) in accordance with the data protection laws; as well as to object to any direct marketing from us. Where applicable, you have the right to data portability of your information and the right to be informed about any automated decision-making we may use.
If we receive a request from you to exercise any of the above rights, we may ask you to verify your identity and to put your request in writing to us before acting on the request; this is to ensure that your data is protected and kept secure.
8. Consequences of not providing the data
You are not obligated to provide your personal information to us, however, as this information is required for us to provide you with our services, we may not be able to offer some/all our services without it.
Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you’d expect
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Collect any personally identifiable information
- Collect any sensitive information
- Pass data to advertising networks
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
Third party functions
Our site, like most websites, includes functionality provided by third parties. A common example is an embedded YouTube video or PayPal form.
Disabling these cookies will likely break the functions offered by these third parties.
Visitor Statistics Cookies
Turning Cookies Off
You can usually switch cookies off by adjusting your browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies. Doing so however will likely limit the functionality of our website.
10. Changes to the Privacy Notice
We can occasionally update this policy to reflect customer feedback, enhance policy accessibility or to improve internal processes. Any changes we may make in the future will be posted on this page and, if appropriate, publicised on our website. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Privacy Notice.
11. Contact Information
If you have any questions about how TOLFA uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights regarding your personal data, please contact us in writing by any of the following means:
- email us at email@example.com
- write to us at: TOLFA, 95 Bath Road, Stroud GL5 3LA, UK